Flight Observer Program
The LVHN MedEvac Flight Observer program is structured to allow health professionals or related emergency services personnel, who meet our specific requirements, to accompany the LVHN Flight Team on MedEvac missions. The program benefits both, the observer and the medical flight crew when knowledge and expertise are shared during the observer experience.
The observer will better understand and appreciate the range of responsibility in mission preparation, pre-flight patient assessment and preparation/intervention, in-flight limitations and environment, patient perceptions during the transport and aircraft operational procedures.
The flight team members look forward to the opportunity to function as preceptors for the special health professionals and emergency services personnel who fly with them as observers. The flight observer program will function March 1 through November 30 of each calendar year.
NOTE: Continuing Education Credits have been approved by the Eastern Pennsylvania EMS Council.
- Provides an educational opportunity to obtain first-hand knowledge of all aspects of the air medical mission to include on-scene and inter-facility transport of critically ill or injured patients.
- Create a positive environment, facilitating a better working relationship between flight personnel and referring agencies.
- Provide the observer with general knowledge of helicopter safety.
- Foster a cooperative spirit between LVH MedEvac personnel and referring health care providers.
- You must be 24 years of age or older, weigh 200lbs. or less, be in good physical condition and not pregnant.
- You must have at least three years of current experience with a pre-hospital or hospital service.
- You must be one of the following: EMT, EMT-P, PHRN, Emergency Dispatcher, Fire Department line officer, ED or critical care nurse from a referring hospital or a physician.
- You must successfully complete a MedEvac Flight Observer orientation course. You must sign a waiver indemnifying the hospital.
- You must read and understand the policies, procedures and orientation literature prior to flying.
- Approved observers will be scheduling on Saturdays and Wednesdays from 15:00 to 23:00 and are permitted a maximum of eight (8) hours per scheduled shift.
Participants will be selected on a "first-come, first-serve" basis. All inquiries
regarding this program must be made by email to Michael.Adams@lvh.com,
Coordinator - Flight Observer Program.